Sunday, March 16, 2008

AT Cure - Week 2

I was really looking forward to week 2, because my kitchen is a source of distress and frustration for me. It is not a whole lot better, because decluttering can only do so much.

I use my kitchen a lot: I cook at home almost every night, I bake on the weekends, we eat most of our meals in the kitchen. It is a big room but the layout of the space limits the work zone to one tiny corner. And storage is a joke. The whole thing is slated for remodeling in about two years.

Before AT:





After AT: Yes there is still clutter on the table and in the bin on the wall. It belongs to my husband. I will try to get him to tidy it up today. Wish me luck! I wonder if I could find another home for the vacuum...

There's still more stuff on the counters than I'd like, but I lack enough accessible storage to put it all away. I'm short and my cabinets are tall!


So, this week's tasks:

1. Fix one thing yourself. I will oil the kitchen cabinet hinges.

2. Clean your kitchen from top to bottom and throw away old food. Check.

3. Buy a water filter and use it. I've been using a Brita pitcher for time immemorial.

4. Run your hands over every wall. That's a lot of walls! I'll try to get to this today.

5. Clear space for an outbox. I am using a corner of the basement.

6. Clear one surface and use the outbox. I've used the outbox for the laundry room (last week) and the kitchen (yesterday), so I think I've met this requirement.

7. Buy fresh flowers. Yeah, right.

8. Determine your style. From the list in the book, I'd have to pick Organic Modern. I have found the book Yes No Design by Diane Love to be very helpful with this in the past.

9. Find a new recipe and cook one meal at home. I cook a lot already. No problem.

10. Choose the date for your housewarming. I'm not really sure I want to do this...

No comments: